Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- This recipe yields about 1 cup of vinaigrette.
- 2 ounces bacon grease
- ¼ pounds red onion -- dice fine
- 2 cups water
- ½ cups honey
- ½ cups red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- Place the bacon grease in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until the onions start to blacken.
- While the onions are caramelizing, in a mixing bowl place the water, honey and red wine vinegar.
- Using a wire whisk, mix the ingredients well.
- Add the cornstarch and whisk well.
- After the onions have caramelized add the Dijon mustard to the onions and stir together with a rubber spatula.
- Add the water, vinegar, pepper (sic) honey and cornstarch to the mustard and onions and mix.
- Continue stirring until mix thickens and comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and store in refrigerator until needed.
- Note: to reheat use a double boiler.