This update of a holiday entertaining classic delivers all of the rich flavor with far less of the usual fat. Serve with pita crisps or toasted slices of French bread.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Eating Well Diabetes Cookbook
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 07.14.07
- Active time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- Makes about 1⅓ cups
- 1 x 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- dash of cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place artichoke hearts in the center of a clean kitchen towel; gather up the ends and twist firmly to extract all the moisture.
- Combine the artichokes, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon zest and cayenne pepper in a food processor.
- Process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Spread the mixture in an even layer in a small ovenproof gratin dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and bake until the top is golden, about 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional information Edit
- Per tablespoon: 31 calories | 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono) | 3 mg cholesterol | 3 g carbohydrate | 2 g protein | 1 g fiber | 109 mg sodium | 71 mg potassium.
- 0 Carbohydrate Servings