Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Head cheese. Even though its name suggests otherwise, this has nothing whatsoever to do with cheese. This recipe is a very old traditional recipe and hardly ever made anymore. — CorineJ 12:48, 23 Mar 2006 (PST)
- Leave the pig's head in salt water until ready to use, then brush under a lukewarm flowing tap.
- Put in so much water that it is half under, and cook in about 1½ hrs.
- Add the washed meat and leave everything to cook for another hour, so that the head meat is easy to take off the bone and only a little cooking juice is left.
- Take the meat of the bone and mince it together with the pork.
- Add the minced mass to the cooking juice, mix everything with the salt and spiced and add the chopped gherkins.
- Transfer to bowls, cover them with fat free paper and pour some vinegar on.
- Leave to cold and stiff and slice thinly.
- Keeps 1 to 2 weeks.