Head cheese. Even though its name suggests otherwise, this has nothing whatsoever to do with cheese. This recipe is a very old traditional recipe and hardly ever made anymore. — CorineJ 12:48, 23 Mar 2006 (PST)
- Leave the pig's head in salt water until ready to use, then brush under a lukewarm flowing tap.
- Put in so much water that it is half under, and cook in about 1½ hrs.
- Add the washed meat and leave everything to cook for another hour, so that the head meat is easy to take off the bone and only a little cooking juice is left.
- Take the meat of the bone and mince it together with the pork.
- Add the minced mass to the cooking juice, mix everything with the salt and spiced and add the chopped gherkins.
- Transfer to bowls, cover them with fat free paper and pour some vinegar on.
- Leave to cold and stiff and slice thinly.
- Keeps 1 to 2 weeks.