- Cut the banana in half. Don't peel yet.
- Cut each 1/2 lengthwise. You now have quartered the plantain into four equal, narrow, relatively flat pieces.
- Now peel the plantain, more by pulling it off with your knife than peeling per se.
- Heat 1/4" corn or soybean oil in a pan.
- Put the plantain in the oil when the oil has reached a medium-high temperature. If oil smokes, turn it down.
- Turn the plantain when the natural sugars in the fruit begin to carmelize (just starting to turn brown) - about 6 minutes
- Fry the other side - about 5 minutes
- Place fried plantains on paper towels to remove extra oil