A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground bison
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans with liquid
- 2 cans white hominy with liquid
- In a large pot, cook ground beef; when half done, add onions and celery, and finish cooking.
- Add beans and hominy; season to taste. Heat until warm.
- Add water and simmer if too thick.
Optional Additions: You may add other types of corn to the soup for more variety and/or textures. Some light use of an immersion blender may also provide the opportunity to play around with the soup texture.