Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 16
- 6 lb turkey breast with bones (with at least 2 cups meat)
- 2 medium onions
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- ½ tsp salt
- to taste black pepper
- ½ lb Italian pastina or pasta
- Place turkey breast in large 6-quart pot.
- Cover with water until at least three quarters full.
- Peel onions, cut into large pieces, and add to pot.
- Wash celery stalks, slice, and add to pot.
- Simmer covered for about 2½ hours.
- Remove carcass from pot.
- Divide soup into smaller, shallower containers for quick cooling in refrigerator.
- After cooling, skim off fat.
- While soup cools, remove remaining meat from turkey carcass.
- Cut into pieces.
- Add turkey meat to skimmed soup, along with herbs and spices.
- Bring to boil and add pastina.
- Continue cooking on low boil for about 20 minutes, until pastina is done.
- Serve at once or refrigerate for later reheating.