Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Southern Living Holiday Dinners 1982
- Makes 2 dozen rolls
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup milk
- 1 package dry yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- about 5½ cups all-purpose flour
- Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover 15 – 20 minutes until tender.
- Drain, reserving ½ cup potato water; set potatoes aside.
- Combine potato water and milk; heat to 105°F to 115°F.
- Stir in yeast and sugar; let stand 5 minutes.
- Mash potatoes to measure ¾ cup.
- Combine potatoes, oil, egg, salt and yeast mixture in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat on medium speed of electric mixer until blended.
- Gradually beat in enough flour of form a moderately stiff dough.
- Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F) away from drafts, 1½ hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Lightly grease muffin pans.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 3 balls in each muffin cup.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 400°F for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.