This home-brew remains a favourite party drink in a Welsh household for both adults and children. You will need eight pint bottles or four quart bottles. They should be of a strong material and have firm caps with metal springs to imprison the effervescent liquid it's more explosive than champagne.
- Makes 1 gallon.
- Roughly crush the ginger root.
- Wash and slice the lemons into thick rings.
- Put the ginger, lemon, cream of tartar and sugar in a large bowl.
- Pour the boiling water over.
- Stir and leave to cool to blood temperature.
- Stir in the yeast.
- Leave to ferment for 24 hours.
- Skim off the yeast.
- Strain and bottle the liquid.
- Leave for three days before broaching it.