Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Combine Sugar, shortening, salt, and water together and let cool to lukewarm.
- Add in yeast mixture.
- Stir in flour.
- Knead 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic
- Place in greased bowl, turning once.
- Let rise until doubled. Punch down and let rest 15 minutes. Divide dough in half.
- On floured surface, roll each half to a 12"x15" rectangle. Roll up, starting at 15" edge.
- Place loaves on greased cookie sheets and make 4 or 5 slashes diagonally across tops.
- Let rise until double.
- Mix egg and milk and brush on top of bread.
- Sprinkle on poppy or sesame seeds, if desired.
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.