Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Ukrainian cabbage rolls
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 large cabbage
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup ground cooked meat
- 2 cups rice
- 1½ cups tomato juice
- 1 large onion - minced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp butter or bacon fat
- salt and pepper
- Remove the cabbage core with a sharp knife.
- Place the cabbage in a deep pan and pour boiling water into the hollow of the core.
- Cover completely with boiling water.
- Let stand until the cabbage leaves are soft and pliable.
- Individually separate the cabbage leaves.
- Cut off the hard center stem from the leaves.
- If the leaves are really large, cut in half or in three.
- Wash the rice thoroughly.
- Add salt to the 2 cups of boiling water.
- Add the rice and bring to a boil.
- Cover and turn the heat off.
- Let stand until the rice has absorbed all the water.
- (the rice will only be partially cooked) saute the onion in butter or bacon fat.
- Add the meat if used and cook together for a few minutes.
- Combine with rice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cool this mixture.
- Line the bottom of a large baking dish with a few large cabbage leaves.
- Place a spoonful of rice mixture on each half of the leaves and roll up.
- Arrange the rolls in layers.
- The rolls should be small.
- Sprinkle each layer with salt.
- Mix the tomato juice and sour cream.
- Pour over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover with a few large leaves.
- Cover tightly and bake at 350°F for 2 hours or until the cabbage and the rice kernels are done.
- The rice kernels should be separate and not mushy.
- Place the hot holoobtsi on a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped crisp bacon.
- Serve with any meat course.