Pork with celery in egg and lemon sauce. Serves 4 persons!
- 1-1.25 kg lean boneless Pork, or 4 medium-sized Pork chops
- 1 large head of celery
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium Onion, finely sliced
- 600 ml hot water
- salt and white pepper
Avgolemono Sauce Edit
- Rinse the meat and drain.
- Discard the root end of the celery, separate into stalks, trim and rinse individually under cold running water.
- Using the sharp point of a knife, dislodge any suspicion of grit in between its ribbed back. Cut the celery into 5 cm pieces, using its leaves as well.
- Drop the celery into salted boiling water in a large saucepan, about 22-25 cm and boil for 5 minutes, then drain and keep aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the meat and then the onion. Neither should get brown but just be slightly transparent.
- Add the hot water, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- Season with salt and white pepper, add the celery and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the celery is very tender.
- Turn the heat off and let it stand for at least 5 minutes before you add the sauce.
- Prepare the Avgolemono sauce by combining the eggs, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Pour it slowly all over the meat, rotating the saucepan at the same time.
- Put back on a very low heat for 5 minutes only, in order to cook the cornflour and thicken the sauce, but on no account let it boil.
- Serve with fresh green salad, fresh bread and, if you have a large appetite, with mashed or roasted potatoes.