Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Pork with celery in egg and lemon sauce. Serves 4 persons!
- 1-1.25 kg lean boneless Pork, or 4 medium-sized Pork chops
- 1 large head of celery
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium Onion, finely sliced
- 600 ml hot water
- salt and white pepper
Avgolemono Sauce Edit
- Rinse the meat and drain.
- Discard the root end of the celery, separate into stalks, trim and rinse individually under cold running water.
- Using the sharp point of a knife, dislodge any suspicion of grit in between its ribbed back. Cut the celery into 5 cm pieces, using its leaves as well.
- Drop the celery into salted boiling water in a large saucepan, about 22-25 cm and boil for 5 minutes, then drain and keep aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the meat and then the onion. Neither should get brown but just be slightly transparent.
- Add the hot water, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- Season with salt and white pepper, add the celery and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the celery is very tender.
- Turn the heat off and let it stand for at least 5 minutes before you add the sauce.
- Prepare the Avgolemono sauce by combining the eggs, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Pour it slowly all over the meat, rotating the saucepan at the same time.
- Put back on a very low heat for 5 minutes only, in order to cook the cornflour and thicken the sauce, but on no account let it boil.
- Serve with fresh green salad, fresh bread and, if you have a large appetite, with mashed or roasted potatoes.