Yemeni hot relish. Hilbeh is a traditional fiery accompaniment for felafel, or a dip for bread.
- 3 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 3 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds,
- ½ tsp hot red pepper, ground
- With a mortar and pestle or the back of a spoon, crush the fenugreek seeds to a fine powder.
- Pour in 1 cup of boiling water and steep for 2 or 3 hours.
- then drain the fenugreek in a fine sieve.
- Puree the tomatoes through a sieve set over a bowl and stir the fenugreek into them.
- With the back of a spoon or with a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic and salt to a paste.
- Add the cardamom, caraway, coriander and red pepper and mash them vigorously until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir it into the tomato and fenugreek.
- Serve at once or store tightly covered in the refrigerator.