Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Hager Estate in Canton, Texas in 1982.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅔ cup apple butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a muffin tin or tins.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon to a coarse meal or streusel- like crumb.
- Measure out 1 cup the crumbs and set it aside for the topping.
- Stir the baking powder into the remaining mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff but still glossy.
- Combine the vinegar and baking soda.
- When the bubbles settle down stir in the egg yolks and milk.
- Pour this liquid and the beaten egg whites over the dry ingredients and immediately combine the batter with a 15 second stirring and folding.
- Do not expect a smooth thoroughly moistened dough there will be lumps of flour and slicks of egg white showing.
- Quickly spoon the mixture into the tins.
- Place a tablespoon of apple butter in the center of each muffin then divide and sprinkle the reserved streusel crumbs over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cook for 5 minutes before turning out of tins.