Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In Romanian: Scrumbii in ulei
- 2 lbs / 1 kg herrings
- 3 – 4 lemons
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 – 6 juniper berries
- 2 teaspoons salt
- oil as needed
- Clean, wash the herrings, remove the heads and tails and cut in medium sized pieces.
- salt and let sit for an hour.
- Place the fish pieces in a dry bowl, pour the lemon juice over them and let sit for another 20 – 30 minutes.
- Then start putting the fish pieces in a jar, layering fish pieces with a bay leaf, 2 – 3 juniper berries, some lemon juice and oil so as to cover each fish layer.
- Do this until all fish pieces are used up.
- Pour a two finger wide layer of oil, cover the jar with a plate and steam it for 25 – 30 minutes (counting from when the water starts boiling).
- Serve cold.
- This can be kept over the winter; in this case, tie the jar with cellophane first and then steam.
- You may prepare a soup (sour) for two out of the heads and tails.