- 3 Herring
- 3 cups potatoes -- boiled & diced
- 2½ cups Veal -- cooked & cut up
- 1 large dill pickle—bite-size pieces
- 2½ cups tart Apples -- diced
- 2½ cups beets—cooked and diced
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 cup carrots -- cooked and diced
- 6 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 hard-boiled eggs -- sliced
- 1 hard-boiled egg -- minced
Whip ½ of the cream and fold into the salad, mixing gently. Whip the rest of the cream and top the salad, mixing gently. Whip the rest of the cream and top the salad with it just as you are ready to serve.
Pack into a salad bowl. Chill 4 hours. Unmold on a chilled serving platter. Slice the 2 hard-boiled eggs over it. Garnish with remaining beets. Spread over the beets the minced hard-boiled egg. Decorate with sprigs of parsley.
Wonderful dish for a smørgåsbord.