Hermits are a favorite cookie in New England.
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp each:
- ¾ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses and eggs. Beat well.
- Sift together dry ingredients; mix with raisins and nuts, then add to molasses mixture. Blend well.
- Spread evenly in a 12"x8"x2" baking pan.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes. Cool, then cut into squares.