Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Food Network Kitchens
- Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3 sprigs + 1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 sprigs + 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3 long strips lemon zest
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed (2½ to 3 lb)
- 4 cups chicken broth, low-sodium canned or homemade
- 1 bunch medium asparagus, thick ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch segments
- ⅓ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 5 medium shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- Tie the parsley, tarragon, and thyme sprigs and bay leaf together with kitchen twine and put in a large saucepan with the onion, carrot, celery, lemon zest, and chicken breasts.
- Cover with the broth, bring just to a boil over high heat, skim off any foam that comes to the surface.
- Adjust the heat to very low and cover.
- Cook the chicken until firm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a platter, when cool enough to handle and pull into large strips; discard the bones.
- When ready to serve, add the asparagus, peas, and mushrooms to the broth.
- Cook until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 to 5 minutes, and remove herb bundle.
- Return chicken to the broth and warm through.
- Divide chicken between 4 large soup bowls and ladle some broth and vegetables into each bowl.
- Garnish each soup with the chopped parsley and tarragon.
Nutritional information Edit
- 269 Calories | 4g Fat | 1g Saturated Fat | 47g Protein | 14g Carbs | 5g Fiber