Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups chopped onions
- ¾ cup sliced carrots
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 4 cups un-chicken or vegetable broth
- package of soy chorizo
- 8 cups packed kales, shredded thin
- 1 lb red potatoes
- In a large pot, saute the garlic, onions and carrot in the oil over moderately low heat, until vegetables are softened.
- Add the russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces, the broth and 4 cups water.
- Bring the liquid to boil and simmer the mixture, covered, for 10 - 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook the chorizo in some oil over moderate heat until browned (it will probably completely fall apart, but that is ok).
- When browned, transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a processor, add 1½ cups cooking liquid and puree until smooth.
- Stir the purée into the broth mixture, add the chorizo, the kale and the red potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer covered for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.