Here is a good, fast-cooked icing.
Helen's Soft Chocolate Frosting by Helen Monahan from Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by the National Cancer Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 heaping tbsp cocoa
- 3 heaping tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp margarine
- Mix first four ingredients together in saucepan until well blended.
- Gradually add milk.
- Add margarine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick and smooth (you may need to remove from heat occasionally to prevent sticking or lumping).
- Ice cake while the frosting is still warm.
- Ices two 9-inch layers.
- Recipe can easily be cut in half for a single layer cake or cupcakes.