Sweet cardamomed carrots
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and finely grated
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- Steam the carrots with the sugar, milk, cardamom, and lemon peel for about 15 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
- Pour into a sieve, pressing firmly on the carrots to remove all the liquid.
- Reserve the liquid.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour.
- Add the carrots, stirring to coat with the flour mixture, and toss for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Pour the cooking liquid over the carrots, mix well, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into individual serving dishes and garnish with nuts and raisins.