This is a delicious colourful chili with a perfect blend of many vegetables with tofu in a thick spicy tomato base. This original recipe came from Runner's World magazine, although I have altered it to suit my likings. Frying tofu gives it a more meat like texture. For those who like chili very spicy, more chili powder may be added.
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 (19 ounces) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (19 ounces) can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 (28 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Saute first 4 in meduium heat.
- Add tofu and saute until crisp and lightly browned (10 minutes).
- Add rest of ingredients (beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, and chili powder).
- Boil, reduce heat and simmer 45 to 55 minutes.