Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ¾ cup uncooked rice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups ¾-inch chicken cubes (about ¾ pound)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Combine onion, celery, carrots, rice, parsley, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and chicken broth in Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil; stir once or twice.
- Simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
- Add chicken cubes; simmer uncovered 5 to 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Stir in lime juice just before serving.