Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Tomato Sauce, Canned by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 6
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground bison
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 to 2 cups cooked rice
- ½ cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (optional)
- ½ cup chopped onion (optional)
- ½ cup dairy sour cream (optional)
- In a large saucepan, cook beef, the ⅓ cup onion and the garlic until beef is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
- Stir tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes, chili powder, salt, crushed red pepper and black pepper into browned meat in saucepan. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add beans with chili sauce to saucepan. Cover; simmer for 30 minutes.
- In small individual bowls, set out remaining ingredients. For each serving, place some of the cooked rice in a soup bowl. Top with chili mixture and cheese, then some of the ½ cup onion and the sour cream, if you like.