Makes 8 servings
- 2 cups dry pinto beans or black beans
- 1½ quarts chicken broth or ham broth
- 1 quart water
- 1½ pounds smoked ham hocks or leftover ham bone with bits of meat
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- hot peppers to taste (optional)
- salt to taste (optional)
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Wash beans; drain.
- Place in large saucepan and add cold water to cover; let soak overnight.
- Or bring to boil, boil for 1 minute, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour.
- Add broth, water, ham hocks, onion, carrots, garlic, hot peppers and salt.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 3 hours, or until beans are very tender.
- Stir occasionally while cooking; adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- If more liquid is needed, add boiling broth or water.
- When beans are tender, remove ham hocks.
- Place about half of soup in blender and puree; return to saucepan.
- Stir in sherry.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with mounds of rice.