Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Malik Estate in Greenville, Texas in 1988.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 5 pound boneless pork butt roast
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 3 frozen banana leaves thawed
- 6 cups water divided
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using small sharp knife cut ¼ inch deep slits 1 inch apart all over pork roast.
- Rub salt all over pork.
- Unfold 1 banana leaf on work surface and place pork roast atop leaf.
- Fold up leaf around pork enclosing completely.
- Repeat wrapping pork in remaining banana leaves 1 at a time.
- Tie with kitchen string to secure then wrap roast in foil.
- Place pork in roasting pan then pour 4 cups water into pan.
- Roast pork in oven until very tender when pierced with fork about 5 hours.
- Unwrap pork and cool slightly.
- Shred pork and place in large bowl.
- Bring remaining water and salt to boil in small saucepan.
- Add liquid smoke then pour over pork and stir to blend.
- Let stand 10 minutes.