Makes 1 hazelnut torte
- 9 egg yolks
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¾ cup blanched almonds -- ground
- ¾ cup hazelnuts -- ground
- 9 egg whites
- ¼ cup cherry brandy
- ¼ cup raspberry jam
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 24 whole hazelnuts
- powdered sugar
- Beat the egg yolks until thick.
- Add the sugar and beat.
- Add the ground nuts and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold into the yolk mixture.
- Bake in 2 well-buttered layer-cake tins in a preheated moderate oven (350ºF) until the top of the cake springs back quickly when you touch it.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cover the top of each layer with half of the liqueur, then with a thin layer of the raspberry jam.
- Place one cake on top of the other.
- Whip the cream and spread over top.
- Place whole hazelnuts here and there on the torte.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar.