Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Arabian stuffed vegetables - Everyone in the Middle East loves stuffed vegetables. I believe they are a desert invention. This recipe is not difficult to prepare and the results are redolent of the Arabian Nights!
- This recipe is for 4 serves.
- ½ lb finely ground lamb
- ½ lb finely ground beef
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground allspice
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp butter
Vegetables for stuffing Edit
Choose any of the following or any combination. The mixture will fill:
- 4 medium tomatoes, tops cut off and hollowed out for stuffing.
- 6 medium zucchini, cut into 3-inch lengths, hollowed out with a corer, placed on end for stuffing.
- 4 medium bell peppers, tops cut off and cored and seeded for stuffing.
Cooking sauce Edit
- In a 2-quart covered saucepan bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the rice, return to the boil, cover and turn off the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Drain and cool before proceeding with the recipe.
- Mix the cooked rice thoroughly with the stuffing ingredients.
- Fill the vegetables loosely with the rice mixture. It will expand during cooking, so do not pack; leave room at the top or the sides. Arrange the vegetables in a covered deep skillet.
- Simmer, covered, along with the water, tomato sauce and lemon juice on stovetop over low flame (30 minutes for bell peppers and zucchini; 20 minutes for tomatoes).
- Check water to see that it is not evaporating. If it gets low add more hot hater.