- 2 tablespoons olive oil (use the extra virgin if possible)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced about ¼ inch
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced about ½ inch
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 7 cups vegetable broth (or mixed broth and water half and half)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (a must)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat the oil in a 6 quart (or larger) saucepan on medium heat.
- Add carrots, onions, garlic and ginger.
- Stir-fry about 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes and cilantro.
- Stir fry another 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer.
- Cover and cook about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.