This recipe came from the Hartman Estate Sale. It was obtained it as part of the purchase of the Family Collection from the Hartman Estate in Arlington, Texas in 1984.
- 3 Cup Sifted All Purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 Cup Warm milk
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons Melted butter
- 1 Teaspoon sugar
- Fat For Deep Frying
- Combine dry ingredients then cut in butter.
- Add enough warm milk to make a soft dough easy to handle
- Knead on floured board until dough is very smooth and soft but elastic.
- Divide dough into 8 balls and brush tops with melted butter.
- Cover and let stand 45 minutes.
- Pat out each ball into a round 5 or 6 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick.
- Fry in deep fat preheated to 365 °F.
- Dough should rise immediately to surface.
- Cook until brown on one side then turn and brown on other side being careful not to pierce crust.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot.