- 175g (6oz) red lentils
- 100g (4oz) boneless Lamb, cut into 2.5 cm(1 inch) cubes
- 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon mixed Arabic spices
- 1 small green chilli, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon *saffron
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1.2litre (2 pints) boiling water
- Wash and rinse Lentils, then soak in plenty of water for 30 minutes then strain.
- Pour 1.2 litre (2pints) boiling water into a large saucepan and place on medium heat. Add the Lentils, onions and Lamb. Boil for 25 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes, green chilli and spices to the pan, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the coriander, saffron, salt and pepper, mix, cover and simmer on very low heat for a further 5 minutes.