Found this recipe last year and made it for Hanukkah, but is great anytime! Soooo delicious! This is made in an oven cooking bag.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2½ hours | 20 minutes prep
- 12 servings
- 1 (3-4 lb) fresh beef brisket
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 (7½ ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- Trim excess fat from brisket.
- Sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Place flour in a large oven cooking bag and shake.
- Add brisket.
- Set bag in a large roasting pan.
- Combine carrots, celery, onions, undrained tomatoes, wine, soup mix, basil and bay leaves.
- Pour ontop of brisket.
- Close bag; cut slits in top of bag and seal.
- Roast in a 325°F oven for 2½ to 3 hours or until tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Slice meat across the grain into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Skim fat from pan juices and serve with meat.