Iraqi braised lamb with beets and tomatoes
- 3½ to 4 pounds shoulder of lamb, diced in one-inch cubes
- 1 x 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and diced, juice reserved
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 pounds beets
- juice of ½ lemon
- cooked rice
- In a heavy saucepan, mix together the Lamb with the tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, turmeric, and Sugar. Cook on a high flame, stirring, until the meat is brown. Then simmer, covered, on top of the stove for about 2 hours, adding more juice from the tomatoes if necessary.
- Meanwhile, cook the beets in water to cover for about 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel, and dice.
- Add the beets to the stew and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes more. Just before serving, add the lemon juice and adjust the seasonings. Serve with white rice.