Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 4 servings
- 8 to 12 asparagus stalks, bottoms trimmed
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1½ cups thinly sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham
- 4 eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- Preheat the broiler.
- While the water heats, trim the asparagus spears to fit in a circular pattern in a large skillet (similar to the hands of a clock).
- Once the water is boiling, blanch the asparagus stalks by adding them to the water and cooking 2 to 3 minutes, or until just barely tender and bright green.
- Transfer the asparagus to a colander and run under cool water.
- Set aside to drain.
- Lightly coat the skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add the onion and mushrooms and cook until the onions are just tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the ham to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until heated through.
- While the ham cooks, whisk the eggs and 2 tablespoons cold water in a small bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Use a wooden spoon to spread the onions, mushrooms and ham evenly across the skillet.
- Pour the eggs over the vegetables and ham.
- If needed, tilt the pan to ensure the eggs spread evenly.
- Cook until the edges of the egg are done and the center begins to bubble, about 4 minutes.
- The eggs will not be fully cooked at this stage, but will finish under the boiler.
- Arrange the asparagus spears in a circular pattern in the skillet; top off the mixture with cheese.
- Place the skillet under the broiler and cook until the cheese is melted and begins to brown.