Sometimes simplicity gives the best results, this relatively simple recipe is tasted and enjoyed daily by many people ! Enjoy !
- 1 1/2 cups ground cooked Ham
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 eggs
- cooking fat for deep frying
- 1 cup Ham drippings, free of fat
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 cup port or Madeira wine
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons wine vineagar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt, pepper and Cayenne to taste
- Stir the flour into rapidly boiling water and continue to cook, stirring vigorously, until the batter leaves the sides of the pan.
- Lower the heat and beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Ham.
- Bring the fat up to 390 degrees F. on a thermometer and drop the batter by teaspoons into it.
- Cook until golden brown all over, then drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve with Cumberland sauce.
- Grate the rind of the lemon and the orange, then squeeze the juice from the fruit.
- Combine these with all the other ingredients and cook together until well blended.
- Season to taste.
- Makes 3 cups.