Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Sometimes simplicity gives the best results, this relatively simple recipe is tasted and enjoyed daily by many people ! Enjoy !
- 1 1/2 cups ground cooked Ham
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 eggs
- cooking fat for deep frying
- 1 cup Ham drippings, free of fat
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 cup port or Madeira wine
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons wine vineagar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt, pepper and Cayenne to taste
- Stir the flour into rapidly boiling water and continue to cook, stirring vigorously, until the batter leaves the sides of the pan.
- Lower the heat and beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Ham.
- Bring the fat up to 390 degrees F. on a thermometer and drop the batter by teaspoons into it.
- Cook until golden brown all over, then drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve with Cumberland sauce.
- Grate the rind of the lemon and the orange, then squeeze the juice from the fruit.
- Combine these with all the other ingredients and cook together until well blended.
- Season to taste.
- Makes 3 cups.