Ramadhan special sesame cookies
- Can be prepared in 55 Minutes and serves 14 – 16 persons.
- 4 lbs flour
- 3 lbs butter
- 2 lbs sesame seeds; plus additional toasted seeds for sprinkling
- 1 tbsp dry yeast dissolved in ½ cup water
- 20 g gum arabic optional
- 1 tbsp saffron stamens
- ½ lb smen seasoned butter
- 1 tbsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 qt vegetable oil
- 1 qt vegetable oil; for frying
- 10 lbs honey
- In a food processor process all the ingredients, except the honey, into a paste.
- Take a walnut-sized piece of paste and roll it out very thin.
- Using a metal cut-out typically found in Morocco, with different designs, cut out cookies and let them rise for 15 minutes.
- Deep-fry the cookies in the remaining quart of oil in batches over low heat just to brown.
- Soak the cookies in the honey for 15 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.