Apricot balls. Use a natural, tart variety of dried apricots, not the sweetened or honeyed ones. They must also be soft. These keep well for weeks and are good to serve with coffee.
- Do not soak or wash the apricots, or you will produce a cream.
- Put them as they are in the food processor and blend them to a smooth paste, adding a very little water, by the teaspoon if necessary.
- Wash your hands and, wetting them or greasing them with a little oil so the paste does not stick, take little lumps of paste and roll into marble-sized balls.
- Roll them in confectioners' sugar and press half a pistachio on top of each.
- Mix ½ cup coarsely chopped pistachios with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Make a small hole in the center of each apricot ball, put in a little of the filling, close the hole again, and roll in confectioners' sugar.
- Work ½ cup coarsely chopped pistachios into the apricot paste with your hands.