- Cut loaf ends from bread/reserve.
- Cut remaining loaf into 1½ inch thick slices and let stand uncovered, 4 hours to overnight.
- In 9x13" pan, combine orange juice, cream, eggs, cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg.
- With a wire whip, whisk until well blended.
- Lay bread in pan.
- Turn several times until all liquid is absorbed, 3–5 minutes.
- Melt butter in 12" to 14" frying pan over medium heat.
- Put soaked bread into frying pan.
- Cook, turning as needed, until richly browned on both sides (5 minutes).
- Dust with powdered sugar;.