Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Abalone and sea cucumber. It is very important to use fresh abalone and sea cucumber in this dish.
- 2 fresh green abalone
- 500 g fresh sea cucumber
- oil, for cooking
- 20 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup spring onions, cut in 2–3 cm lengths
- ½ cup thinly sliced carrots
- 80 ml chicken stock
- 80 ml soy sauce
- 80 ml Chinese brown vinegar
- 40 ml rice wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Put the abalone into the refrigerator for 10–15 minutes to 'put it to sleep'.
- This will make it easier to remove from the shell.
- When chilled, lift it out of the shell with a very strong, thin, steel-bladed knife.
- Carefully cut and lever between the flesh and the shell, making sure not to pierce the flesh as it gives a bad taste.
- Remove the intestines from the flesh very carefully, too.
- Slice the sea cucumber and abalone very thinly.
- Heat wok to a high heat, then add the oil.
- Add all the cloves of garlic and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add spring onion, and then add the sea cucumber, chicken stock, soy sauce, carrots, vinegar, rice wine and sugar.
- Stir through the abalone last.
- Cook for only a minute.
- Mix cornflour with a little cold water, then stir through the mixture.
- Add sesame oil.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice or noodles..