The recommended wines are: Fumé Blanc, Beaujolais, or Chianti.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Prep: 15 minutes | Marinate: 1 hour | Cook: 10 minutes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lb boneless pork loin, cut crosswise into thin slices, then into 5 x ½ inch strips
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp dill
- 2 pita loaves, halved
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
- Place pork slices in a shallow dish and pour marinade over.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator 1-8 hours.
- Combine yogurt, cucumber, crushed garlic and dill in another bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Drain marinade from pork slices and place pork in a single layer in a shallow pan.
- Roast about 10 minutes, until crisp.
- Open each pita half to form a pocket.
- Distribute pork among each half.
- Top each sandwich with some chilled yogurt mixture and sliced onions.
Nutritional information Edit
- Calories 343 | fat 10.8g | 28% calories from fat | cholesterol 75mg | protein 32.1g | carbohydrates 28.7g | fiber 2.1g | sugar 8.7g | sodium 331mg
- Diet points 7.8.
- Dietary Exchanges: Milk: 0.4 | Vegetable: 0.8 | Fruit: 0.2 | Bread: 1.0 | Lean meat: 0.0 | Fat: 1.6 | Sugar: 0.0 | Very lean meat protein: 3.4