- Warm milk to room temperature.
- Stir yeast and one ounce sugar in a bowl (except when using instant yeast).
- Add warm milk and beaten egg.
- Sift flour into a large bowl, add salt and spice and rub in margarine.
- Mix flour into yeast.
- Turn dough onto a clean floured surface and knead to a smooth pliable dough.
- Let it sit for 1 hour or until double in size
- When dough is risen, knock back dough, and sprinkle in the last ounce of sugar and the preserved fruit (fruit soak in wine or rum).
- Adding sugar at this stage helps to give the baked bun a crispy texture.
- Cut dough in 12 even sized pieces and roll into round balls.
- Put onto a greased baking tray and prove a second time.
- Make a cross by cutting the top of the balls with a knife or use piece of dough to make a cross.
- Bake in a hot oven, 350°F to 400°F for 30 minutes.
- After buns are done, brush tops with cold water glaze made with two tablespoons of sugar and one tablespoon of water.