Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 tbsp plus ½ lb butter, softened
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- Pinch of salt
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp light rum
- 1 cup seedless Raisins
- ¼ cup candied cherries, coarsely chopped
- With a pastry brush, spread 1 tablespoon of softened butter over the bottom and sides of an 8-inch spring-form cake pan.
- Sift the cornmeal and flour together. In a deep bowl, cream the remaining ½ pound of butter, the sugar and 2 tablespoons of the cornmeal mixture together by beating and mashing against the sides of the bowl with a large spoon until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, nutmeg and salt and, beating constantly, slowly pour in the eggs in a thin stream.
- In a separate bowl, beat in about 1 cup of the cornmeal mixture, then ¼ cup of the milk, adding alternately until the cornmeal and milk have been combined.
- Stir in the rum, raisins and cherries, and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 1½ hours, or until the top of the cake is golden and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 4 or 5 minutes before removing the sides of the spring-form. Then, with the aid of a large metal spatula, slide it off the bottom of the pan onto a cake rack to cool completely.