Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ tbsp black pepper
- 1 lb beef stewing meat, trimmed and cut into one-inch cubes
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into quarter-inch rounds (optional)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into three-quarter- inch cubes
- salt to taste
- Combine the flour and pepper in a bowl.
- Add the beef and toss to coat well.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large pot.
- Add the beef a few pieces at a time; do not overcrowd.
- Cook, turning the pieces until beef is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch.
- Add more oil as needed between batches.
- Remove the beef from the pot and add vinegar and wine.
- Cook over medium-high heat, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits.
- Add the beef, diluted bouillon cubes, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and cook, skimming broth from time to time, until the beef is tender, about 90 minutes.
- Add the onions and carrots and simmer, covered for ten minutes.
- Add the potatoes and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.