Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Makes 12 servings
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 5 cups fish stock
- 1 x 28-ounce can tomatoes
- 2 dozen or 3 cups shucked oysters (drain; reserve liquid)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen sliced okra
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- bouquet garni
- ½ pound cubed boneless white fish
- ½ pound peeled deveined shrimp
- ½ pound crab fingers or crab meat
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- Sauté onion in oil until well browned.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until a deep brown color is obtained.
- Stir in fish stock, tomatoes, liquid from oysters, okra, salt, lemon pepper, black pepper, red pepper and bouquet garni.
- Cook, uncovered, about 30 minutes.
- Add fish, shrimp, crab fingers and oysters.
- Continue cooking about 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and oysters begin to curl.
- Remove bouquet garni.
- Just before serving, add gumbo file.
- Never let gumbo boil after file is added.
- Serve in shallow bowls with rice.