Makes 12 servings
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 5 cups fish stock
- 1 x 28-ounce can tomatoes
- 2 dozen or 3 cups shucked oysters (drain; reserve liquid)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen sliced okra
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- bouquet garni
- ½ pound cubed boneless white fish
- ½ pound peeled deveined shrimp
- ½ pound crab fingers or crab meat
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- Sauté onion in oil until well browned.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until a deep brown color is obtained.
- Stir in fish stock, tomatoes, liquid from oysters, okra, salt, lemon pepper, black pepper, red pepper and bouquet garni.
- Cook, uncovered, about 30 minutes.
- Add fish, shrimp, crab fingers and oysters.
- Continue cooking about 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and oysters begin to curl.
- Remove bouquet garni.
- Just before serving, add gumbo file.
- Never let gumbo boil after file is added.
- Serve in shallow bowls with rice.