- 2 cups onion, chopped
- ¼ cup shortening
- 3 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lb beef cubes, 1-inch cubes
- red pepper, dash
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp caraway seeds
- Fry onions in hot fat until transparent.
- Add green peppers and tomato paste.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add lean beef cubes and remaining ingredients.
- Simmer about 1½ hours, until meat is tender (add cubed potatoes if you like and simmer until potatoes are done).
- Best when reheated and served the second day.