A great appetizer to start off an Irish meal.
- Makes 4 servings.
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Guinness, at room temperature
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into ½-inch thick rings
- Preheat oil to 360°F in a deep stockpot or deep-fryer.
- Combine flour, cayenne pepper, baking powder, cornstarch, salt and white pepper in a bowl.
- Whisk in Guinness until you get a smooth batter.
- Place onion rings in Guinness batter and coat well.
- Then transfer to the deep fryer and fry for 1 – 2 minutes or until the batter is golden brown.
- Remove excess oil by placing onion rings on absorbent paper.
- Season with salt before serving.