- 8 slices ( 3/4-inch-thick) Italian bread
- 1 medium clove garlic, cut in half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan shavings (1 oz.) or 1/4 cup grated Parmesan-flavored soy cheese
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 8 cups mesclun greens, dried thoroughly
- 4 portobello Mushrooms (about 1 lb. total), stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium sweet onions, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla (about 1 1/2 lbs. total),
- cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 16 cherry and/or yellow pear tomatoes
Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat gas grill on high. Set a vegetable grill topper on rack to heat.
Vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients along with 1 tablespoon water.
Lightly oil grill topper. Grill vegetables in batches until nicely browned and tender, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer cooked vegetables to baking sheet. Grill bread alongside vegetables until lightly toasted. Immediately rub warm grilled bread with cut sides of garlic.
Add grilled vegetables and vinaigrette to greens and toss well. Divide salad among plates and sprinkle Parmesan shavings on top. Serve right away with garlic bread.