- 2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 4 cups cooked rice (brown rice, wild rice or japonica)
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbs. shallots
- 2 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu, drained and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slabs
- 2 Tbs. Wasabi
- 1/4 cup honey
- In small bowl, combine tamari, ginger, shallots, sesame oil and rice vinegar.
- Place tofu cutlets on platter and coat both sides with marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Arrange tofu cutlets on grill or in grill pan and cook on both sides until outside is lightly browned and center is warmed through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Carefully remove to a platter.
- While tofu is cooking, combine Wasabi and honey in a small mixing bowl.
- Add water as needed to form a thick glaze.
- Arrange grilled tofu steaks on a bed of hot rice.
- Brush with wasabi-honey glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Serve hot.