Grilled Portobello Mushrooms from the Public Domain Cookbook—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- ⅔ cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh or ⅛ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 (5-6" diameter) portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- low-fat cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Prepare the grill.
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, mozzarella, ½ teaspoon of the olive oil, rosemary, pepper and garlic.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the gills of the mushroom caps and remove the stems and discard.
- In a small bowl, mix ½ teaspoon of the olive oil, lemon juice and soy sauce.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the soy sauce mixture on both sides of the mushroom caps.
- Grill the caps, stem side down first for 5 minutes on each side or until soft.
- Spoon ¼ cup of the tomato and cheese mixture into each cap, cover and grill for about 3 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Garnish with cilantro.