Buying tomato sauce and roasted peppers at the supermarket makes easy work of these crispy pizzas. Make sure to slice the onion very thin, which allows it to impart its flavor without overwhelming the rest of the toppings. Add a sprinkling of any fresh herbs you have on hand just before serving, if you like, and be sure to break out the red pepper flakes for those who prefer some heat.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: South Beach Diet Taste of Summer Meal Plan
- Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- 4 (8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- ¼ cup canned tomato sauce
- 4 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
- ½ cup roasted red pepper (from a jar), cut into ¼-inch-wide strips
- ½ small red onion, very thinly sliced
- ⅛ tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray and heat to medium-high.
- Grill tortillas until lightly puffed and browned on the bottom, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a cutting board, grilled side up.
- Spread tortillas evenly with tomato sauce and top with equal portions of cheese, red pepper, and onion.
- Return pizzas to the grill, topping side up.
- Cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Transfer pizzas to 4 plates, sprinkle with salt, and season with black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional information Edit
- 210 Calories | 8g Fat | 3.5g Saturated Fat | 10g Protein | 22g Carbs | 4g Fiber | 610mg Sodium