New Orleans Grilled Oysters Oysters can be cooked in their shells on your barbecue grill. The heat from the grill steams the oysters. They make a great appetizer. So easy and so delicious, a local New Orleans tradition.
Basting sauce (for each 6 oyster batch) Edit
- Preheat barbecue grill or use a toaster oven set high.
- Scrub the oyster shells under cold running water with a brush.
- Open, discard top shell and loosen oyster from bottom shell.
- Place about a table spoon of the flavored melted butter over each oyster.
- Place oysters (cup side on bottom) on hot grill about 4 inches from hot coals.
- Cover barbecue with lid, open any vents, and cook 3 to 5 minutes (depending on size) or until done to your taste.
- Using an oven mitt, remove the oysters from the grill, taking care not to spill their juices.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese and chopped green onion on top of hot oysters.
- Transfer onto a serving platter.
- Serve with left over melted butter, your favorite hot sauce, and lemon wedges.